Many people have quite a few complaints about the new system that WN is implementing. The same threads, same questions, and same misconceptions are made over and over and over again. So today, I will be addressing all the common questions/misconceptions with as much information as I know to clear up some of these issues.
1) What is the new system? (aka, what's new?)
- Spirit Stones (SS) are renamed to Coins.
- Coins, for the majority, are no longer free. The only way you can get coins for free is from inviting friends, which gives you 50 coins & 3 fast pass.
- Fast Passes (FP) are introduced.
- Points & Farming are introduced.
- Membership is introduced
2) What do I do with Fast Passes? (and other info about them)
- You get 3 FP per day for free with by just checking in, voting with Power Stone, and voting for Energy Stone.
- FP unlock chapters regardless of length. But this doesn't mean that you will be unlocking 100 word chapters-- all contracted authors have to put out 1000 word chapters at minimum from now on. So, 1 FP = 5 coins, at a minimum.
- To unlock a chapter with FP, just go to a locked chapter like usual, and under the blue button for using coins to unlock them, you'll see a separate smaller blue button to unlock with FP.
- FP expire in 7 days, hence the name "Fast Pass". BUT!! Expiration is not a problem! To prevent your fast passes from expiring without putting them to use, just unlock chapters with them, even if you're not going to read. Chapters unlocked with FP don't expire.
- You can purchase FP at the Store w/ points.
3) How do Points & Farming work?
- You get points from reading certain novels that farming is enabled with. This includes ALL fanfiction, and many originals which have farming mode enabled.
- To see if farming is enabled when you read on a novel, check for a gold pouch in the top right corner.
- When you read these novels, you will collect points.
- Points can be used to exchange for items at the Store (profile > store; on app). These items include FP, site discounts, and free reading.
- The rate of farming if you're not reading, and just farming to get points is around 2000 points an hour (individuals have reported 1500-2000+ points). Every 4-10 pages, you get 2 points. If you're actually reading, the rate will be slower, but this is a quick way of getting points.
- You can also get points for hitting certain time checkpoints in the reading checkpoints.
- Pay 7.99 for the 1st month & get $15.99 in value.
- You obtain 500 coins at once. Then daily, through claiming/log-in, you get additional 310 coins in a month.
- More features are coming soon.
- Membership becomes active in 24 hours. If not, file report.
- Expenses are deducted automatically by Google when it comes time for extension. You can go to Google Play store to cancel the subscription.
- Monthly Membership Renewal price = $9.99. Prices differ based on local taxes.
- Basically just read all the fine print before making any purchases.
Now, addressing more specific complaints/misconceptions:
1) Fast Pass is a bad system b/c they expire so fast, and I can't read every day!
As mentioned above, FP expire in 7 days. If you can't read within that time, just unlock chapters beforehand. Even if you're busy, this won't take more than 3 minutes of your time, along with checking in and voting. And so, by the end of the week, you can read 21 free chapters all at once.
2) My Coins keep disappearing!
All free/bonus coins expire. Free coins expire in 30 days. This is not anything new. WN has always been like this. Again, to prevent them from expiring & to solve this issue, the simple solution is to unlock your chapters beforehand. It's not that difficult or time consuming, so this problem really isn't even a "problem" at this point.
3) Why can't I buy anything at the Store even though I have enough Points?
Check to see if the item you want to buy is out of stock (e.g. 0/3000 = there are 0 items left out of 3k stock). That's probably the reason why.
4) I don't like this new system b/c I can't read as much with FP.
Actually, FP provide the same, if not more, free content as coins. In the past, you could get around 15-20 free coins for just checking in & voting. That is equivalent to around three 5-coin chapters, or even 1/2 chapters that are longer, and therefore more costly. With FP, you are now guaranteed to read 3 chapters for free-- so those chapters that costed 15 coins each b/c they were 3000 words long? You can now read three of those. That's just as much, if not more content.
There may be the argument that FP provide less b/c the weekly rewards/reading checkpoints/multiplier rewards give more free coins, but that's where the point system balances things out more. So in the end, you're pretty much getting the same amount of content-- it just pscyhologically feels like less b/c 3 FP feels less than 15 coins. Just think about it logically, and you'll see it's actually quite balanced. Even if you are reading less w/ this system, the most that's going to happen is that you'll cut 1/2 books out your library that you used to be able to read w/ free coins-- not that drastic of a difference.
5) I'm going to go move to pirate sites b/c screw WN!
When you read at pirate sites, you're hurting the authors, not WN. These authors are trying to make a living, and you're taking the excuse of your entitlement to getting everything free to harm their method of making a living. Have some shame.
6) Coins are too expensive.
They're really not. 250 coins only costs $5. You're getting 50,000 words of content for 5 dollars then, since 200 words = 1 coin. Even if you count the 201 words = 2 coins, you're still getting around 25,000 words for $5. To give you an idea of how much content you're reading, average paper novels are between 50,000 to 100,000 words. If you buy 500 coins for $10, you're getting 100,000 words of content. $10 for 100k words? Not too expensive.
The only problem here is the reading addiction of whoever is complaining about having to spend money. Webnovels aren't that expensive if you read a limited amount each day. Just don't read for an entire week, and you can read 21 chapters all at once w/ only fast passes from checking in and voting (probably a little more when you do other rewards). And if you are so addicted that you have to read every new update of the 13 books you follow, then sorry, but that's a little unreasonable for you to complain about having to pay to read.
7) I'm technically not a free reader! I have to pay for data to read!
You paying for data to read, but never purchasing a single coin, means that you're a free reader. You don't go to a restaurant, try to dine-and-dash, but say that you were technically a paying customer b/c you paid for your car gas on your way here.
8) It is impossible to get points at this current rate from reading checkpoints.
No it's not. You get points from not just reading checkpoints, but reading free novels too. Refer to above posts for more info.
9) There are no more free novels!
There are plenty of free original novels. If you can't read translated, there are many good free original ones that have a similar feel/genre/style. If you don't know where to look, you could probably make a thread asking for recs & get plenty.
10) Why can't I unlock privilege chapters w/ FP?
Privilege = for readers who can pay & spend money on coins. It was never intended for free readers in the first place.
11) Reading Checkpoint Rewards are not giving me coins!
They were never intended to give you coins, but points.
12) Coins?? SS??? WHAT??
Coins = SS, just a different name. Nothing too special.
13) Why doesn't WN just do a subscription system for unlimited reading?
They tried it in the past, and it was harming authors. Remember that WN has a unique business model that relies on distributing costs to smaller contracted authors. A subscription model doesn't work well. Other factors played into it as well, but it really just didn't work out. So they took it away. The closest thing to a subscription system is the current membership.
14) Desktop users?
Currently have limited capabilities compared to app users. Wait for WN to roll all the features out, I guess.
15) The ads are too intrusive in my reading experience.
That's b/c farming mode is on. Farming mode = ads. To disable ads, disable farming mode (profile > settings > farming mode off)
Other good posts to check out:
More info on update: https://forum.webnovel.com/d/33362-what-the-new-update-did-for-version-4-2-0-both-ios-and-android
How to farm points: https://forum.webnovel.com/d/34318-how-to-farm-points-the-elusive-new-currency
That's about it for now. I'm tired & I can't think of anything else to address off the top of my head, but if I remember anything, I'll add it.
Tl;dr: complaining is okay, but only if you're complaining about something that's actually substantial & not just your misconceptions about the whole system. Remember that WN is a business, and no one is entitled to receive everything for free for eternity. AND...
If you're going to make a thread about a complaint, !!! TAG IT CORRECTLY !!!
If you haven't bought any SS, stop tagging your threads with Failure to buy SS. If it's not a bug & you're just complaining, don't tag it with Report Bugs. It's common sense, and a part of forum guidelines.
- The forum could be searched by tags, so please try to post with the appropriate tags. If a discussion is better fitted with another tag, the admin have the right to re-tag it.
Please make my life easier.